Friday, July 13, 2007

Sometimes Work is Not Very Fun

Arrrrrghhh.

I wish I could figure out how our upper management thinks. Not that I would want to think like most of them, but just so I could have some clue what to expect.

I've been spending the last 3 weeks pulling together a killer demonstration for a "really important event", coordinating the efforts of 2 different contractors, and polishing the briefing with much "help" from management while listening to them whine incessantly about the risk because it wasn't done weeks before I was told about the demonstration. That's the kind of stuff I get paid to do from time to time for the last dozen years, so I'm pretty darn good at it.

Well, with 1 week to go one of "them" decides that somebody else, who has significantly less experience and has not been part of the preparations, should do the presentation just because they are in a different group. How this reduces risk and improves the demonstration I will never know. I'm still responsible, so it will get done, but someone else will get the satisfaction of actually doing the presentation before the audience.

Update: Just had to add this cartoon from Tank McNamara. It seemed quite apropos:

No comments: