Monday, September 05, 2005

Promotion to Chief

Chief Justice Rehnquist has passed on, God rest his soul. Thank you sir for your service to this nation.

I was going to post some bloviations about who our President might pick to replace Justice Rehnquist and how he might go about it, but he beat me to it. It is nice to see Mr. Bush knows when to take his time and when to move quickly. I think it was a good move, tactically. John Roberts is likely to be confirmed fairly quickly.

I am a bit nervous about putting someone in the Chief seat without a track record on the Court. Nothing I've seen or heard in the weeks since his nomination calls into question his basic judicial conservatism; however, there's this little voice in the back of my head that keeps chanting "Da-vid, Da-vid, Da-vid". I hope it is wrong, but the hand has been dealt so we'll have to see how it plays out.

Stay tuned.

Update: Again, others in the blogsphere wax eloquent:
Captain's Quarters analysis.
New Sisyphus Requium for Rehnquist.

No comments: