Monday, December 08, 2008

Color Me Aporetic

Obama: Don't stock up on guns
As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.

Why not? We are helping to stimulate the economy. Is that not what you want, or is buying guns and ammo somehow contrary to your agenda?


"I believe in more common-sense gun safety laws,

And you've never seen a gun control law that you didn't like and support


and I believe in the second amendment,"

Which amendment is that? The one that allows for hunting and sporting rifles and shotguns? The one that allows for home defense? Or the one that allows for all lawful purposes?


Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."
Color me aporetic. Plainly state that you will not sign any additional gun-related laws unless they reduce the burden on lawful gun owners and maybe we'll consider what you say. Flat out promise to never reinstate an assault weapons ban or restrict private gun sales and we might even believe you. Then explain why you have changed your mind from your past actions and statements and we might even support you. Until then expect further economic stimulation and quit your whining about it.

No comments: