Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Winter Driving Tips for Massachusetts

I have a few tips for those of you not used to driving in the winter in Massachusetts:
  1. Just because you've lived here all your life doesn't mean you actually know how to drive;
  2. Learn the difference between "salt" and "snow".

    If the road looks white but is dry that is "salt". This means that the road crews have been doing their job and the road is safe to drive on relatively normally. Keep an eye out though for icy patches.

    If the road has a layer of white stuff on it, and you cannot see the lane markings, that is "snow". It is slippery. You should not try to drive at high speed, tailgate, cut in and out, or otherwise drive normally for Massachusetts. Recognizing ice is an advanced topic, to be saved for a future post.

  3. Back off! 4 Wheel Drive only helps your truck move; it will not help it stop in the snow. When I have to slow down to turn into my driveway I don't want you ramming into the back of my car. I don't care whether you slide off the road, but I suspect you wouldn't like that either.
Thank you for your attention to these tips.

No comments: